Tickets: Adults: £6, Children (5-18): £2

Summary of meeting held on 27 August 2021 at the Museum

Present:

Robert Paul RP (Chair), Lakshan Saldin LS, Jacqui Griffyth JG, Andrew Farrell AF, Chris Tooth CT, Ruth Briant RB, Nicola hems NH (Curator)

Apologies : Pamela Masters PM 

  • The administrator’s hours have been increased from 12 to 18 per week
  • Bank Balances : Total £93,500 (of which restricted funds of around £40,000)
  • RP and JG to meet with David Talbot to discuss finance and winter budget
  • SHARE East grant application submitted for contactless donations point and promotional film
  • Application to ‘Love the Broads’ to be made to cover cost of additional lifejackets (AF)
  • Discussion and progress on the museum ‘Risk Review’ including ‘day authority’, volunteer roles/co-ordinator, codes of conduct, review of all insurances, risk assessments, maintenance/surveillance programme etc. (all)
  • Presentation/video on the IPPC ( Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) Work with other partners to inform and educate (LS)
  • Information Technology Policy – JG summarised her report
  • Internal Communication – CT summarised his discussion paper including re-instating volunteer forums, a monthly ‘bulletin’, updating volunteer handbook, organisational structure and role definitions (CT, RP, NH)
  • Curator’s Report : update on results of opening and events, arrangements for Heritage Open Days  possibility of a volunteer ‘Family and Friends’ day on 25th September, filming for the tv series ‘Great Escapes’ 16th October  
  • Two more possible trustee applications (RP)
  • Annual General Meeting 23rd September (Zoom) – arrangements
  • AF to investigate funding for ‘Changing Places’ toilets
  • Next meeting agreed on 15th October

Summary of meeting held on 16 July 2021 via Zoom

Present : Robert Paul (Chair), Chris Tooth CT, Andrew Farrell AF, Pamela Masters PM, Ruth Briant RB, Jacqui Griffyth JG, Lakshan Saldin LS, Nicola Hems NH (Curator)

  • New trustees were proposed and elected as follows – Andrew Farrell (co-opted) Ruth Briant and Christopher Tooth (casual vacancies)
  • Total current bank balance reported as £96,342, of which £50,602 restricted
  • Loan repayment for Cooke’s Staithe for 2020 and 2021 made in July
  • Major grant application to ‘MEND’ completed by AF, result expected early August. NH to apply for a further ‘Recovery Grant’ (SHARE)
  • RP hoped that the Museum Development Working group would re-form soon.
  • LS reported on his continuing work on the Business Model/Risk Review/Business Plan update
  • As museum not employing paid boat crews this year, LS suggested increasing Administrator’ hours – agreed.
  • CT to report on internal communication within the museum
  • Two further trustee applications will be progressed. Amanda Forecast to advise on audience development/visitor surveys
  • RP and NH working on new trustee and volunteer roles with museum consultant Linda Brandish
  • AGM to be 23 September and details to be finalised at the next Board Meeting (27 August)     


Summary of meeting held on 6 December 2019 at the Museum.

Present: Robert Paul, Trevor Bone, Pamela Masters, Jacqui Griffyths, Richard Powell, David Talbot, Nicola Hems (Curator)

Finances

Some ‘reserve funds’ have had to be used to cover additional costs associated with the quayside wheelchair lift, and the Cookes Staithe purchase.

The final payment from the LEADER grant and the income from Gift aid is expected in January 2020.

Operating costs throughout the winter months continue at around £3 – 4k per month.

Grant funding will be sought to cover the cost of additional batteries for Marsh Harrier’s lift.

All mooring spaces at Cookes Staithe are now let and that the income should be sufficient for the first loan repayment due in July.

The Development Working Group

The Curator gave a presentation about the future development of the whole museum site and reports were handed to each Board member.

An asbestos survey will be arranged (whole site).

An application to the National Lottery Heritage Fund will then be considered for funding of all remedial work required and also for the proposed new ‘Collections Store’

Management Team

The next Management Team meeting will focus on the recruitment and training of volunteers.

Boat Operations

A group has been formed to look at all boat operations and staffing. Reports from this group will be circulated following a second meeting in January.

Board Recruitment

The Chair restated the importance of identifying potential new trustees able with legal and IT skills.

Business Plan Update

The consultant is awaiting figures from David Talbot in order to complete the Plan. Once completed, the draft would be presented to the Board

Any Other Business

LEADER representative to visit the Museum next week

Highways had commenced restorative work to the Public Staithe

More signage needed on the river approach to Stalham

Discussions about possible future joint events are taking place with the new owner of the Mermaid’s Slipper restaurant

The Chair attended the ‘Excelsior Trust’ annual celebration and investigated the possibility of joint events

The IBTC is considering taking the Brooke boat.

A local firm may sponsor aspects of the Museum’s work.  Talks are ongoing.

Summary of Meeting of Board held on 13th September 2019

Present:

Trustees and Directors: Robert Paul, Trevor Bone, Pamela Masters, Jacqui Griffiths, Richard Powell

Curator: Nicola Hems

It was unanimously agreed to officially co-opt Richard Powell as a trustee/director.

Cookes Staithe: 

  • Proposed sale of remaining items to take place on October 12th
  • Cost or an electrical inspection confirmed at £225
  • Asbestos surveys to be investigated by Trevor

Marsh Harrier:

  • Discussion about current  problems with electrical system
  • Final Leader claim now due 31 October

Museum Development Working Group:

  • To meet next on 18 September

New Trustees:

  • Robert currently assessing new trustee applications

Report from Management Team meeting 09 September:

  • Items covered: maintenance of site, boat operations, events for 2020, admission prices for 2020, benefits for ‘Friends’, branded clothing for volunteers.
  • Discussion about the viability of the restoration of the Brooke cruiser, return of Esox and possible options for 2020, and the volunteers’ event on  15 November .

Business Plan:

It is hoped  that Julie Cole will present to the Board before the end of October.

AOB:

The new website is now live